The Royal Academy of Turku is the oldest university in Finland, and the only still active university that was founded while Finland was a part of Sweden.
The academy was founded in 1640 by Queen Christina of Sweden as the third university in the Swedish Empire. It also housed the first Finnish printing shop founded in 1642. The academy suffered considerable damage in the great fire in Turku in September 1827, and was ordered by Tsar Nicolas to be moved to Helsinki later that year, where it was renamed the Imperial Alexander University of Finland. The name was changed again when Finland gained independence in 1917 to the University of Helsinki.